Cons of leading an unhealthy lifestyle - Lifestyle disorder/ diseases

human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise 


It seems fascinating that how a tiny sized termite eats 20 years warrantied furniture of so-called luxury brand slowly and steadily😱. From the inception, termites remain hidden in the wood and then gradually starts eating wood. By the time they are finally discovered, they had already caused substantial damage to their home. This is what exactly happening with our lifestyle in this competitive era.



By adhering to an unhealthy lifestyle, we are opening the door for lifestyle disorders that erodes our body like a termite. The onset of these lifestyle diseases is surreptitious, they take years to evolve, but once encountered cant be cured easily. Generally, people leading a sedentary lifestyle are vulnerable to such diseases. Factors conducing to such disorders mainly include bad food habits, occupational lifestyle, working conditions, lack of physical inactivity and disrupted biological clock.

Bad Eating habits- Last year I made one more resolution 😇of improving my food habits. You can read my resolution of losing weight here. People who consume more meat, dairy products, junk food, tobacco, sugary foods, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages and smoke cigarettes are more prone towards lifestyle ailments like obesity, cancer etc.
Poor Eating Habits
On contrary, those who prefer low-sugar starchy foods, less meat or fat in their diet have a lower probability of getting these diseases. But, that doesn't mean starve for food. Food starvation is equally not good for health. It may not only cause malnutrition but only 'anorexia nervosa'. Many celebrities from fashion and showbiz industry encounter such disease as they literally starve themselves to maintain the figure.  

Occupational lifestyle- Not just from poor eating habits but one can even develop lifestyle disorders through certain occupational factors like unemployment, working conditions, and stress at work.

According to a survey conducted by the Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ASSOC-HAM), 68% of working people in the age bracket of 21-52 years were found to be afflicted with lifestyle disorders such as Obesity, Alzheimer's disease, arteriosclerosis, cancer, chronic liver disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), hypertension, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Scientifically, it is proven that working for prolonged hours and under strict deadlines cause depression or general anxiety disorder. Sitting for long hours even cause obesity. 

Those who work heavily on the computer on daily basis have more chances of getting glaucoma and short-sightedness, neck stiffness and back pain. Writing blog is an exceptional case😜. The stiffening of the neck may instigate a headache, fatigue, and exhaustion. The wrong posture while working gives strain to the backbone and induces severe back pain. 

Many companies in the USA have therefore introduced the concept of the "standing desk"
Standing Desk
to motivate their workforce to work while standing thereby reducing the risk of obesity and other ailments. 

Many multinational companies like Google have given leverage of flexible working hours and frequent breaks for stretching and for other works involving physical movements to alleviate this problem. 

Working Conditions - I still remember that when I visited the cold storage, It was so chilly😨 over there that, I couldn't stand even for a single minute🙅.  I sometimes think how workers working in such cold environment work there. These workers are more susceptible to lifestyle disorders that are caused by working conditions in which an individual or staff work including heat, sound, dust, fumes, smoke, cold, and other pollutants. High temperature or pressure difference may lead to homeostasis. Astronauts and divers are therefore advised to spend some time in a closed chamber to minimize the risk of homeostasis.

Astronauts in a closed chamber

People working in high temperatures face problems related to BP, metabolism, and organ failure due to shock. An extreme cold working condition causes hypothermia and shock. Those working in fishing or shipping industry usually face seasickness or motion sickness. Once I went to a wholesale ship market to buy a fish. I couldn't bear the fish smell and almost puked🙊. 



Traffic - Due to traffic, it takes a 2-hour drive from my office to home. If I could have hypothetically eliminated the traffic, I can easily reach home within 30 mins. I got severe back problem due to prolonged driving. My doctor advised me not to drive for long hours to avoid the risk of spondylitis. I cant avoid the traffic but I can ask my hubby to drive in between so that I can relax my back muscles.

Lack of Physical ActivityNot only adults but kids may also develop such lifestyle disorders due to lack of physical activity. Well, I was a badminton champ and being a 90's kid, I always took part in extracurricular activities. That might be a reason, why 90's kids are coolest one. But on the contrary, nowadays kids spent most of their time slouched in front of the TV or PCs which is directly or indirectly hindering their lifestyle. Kids who don't participate in any sport or physical activity are more prone to such diseases.  Moreover, this competitive era not only refrains from participating in the sports activity but also induces too much stress on them, which may again lead to many ailments like depression and anxiety disorder. 


Disrupted Biological clock- That reminds me of one incident, yesterday I was watching a youtube video related to my blog topic. I got so deeply engrossed in it, that I even forgot about my yoga classes that I had to attend. I realized that unintentionally I actually disturbed my biological clock by waking up the whole night. I hardly had 2 hours of sleep and next day I got up very late that too with a severe headache. It taught me a lesson and from this very day, I promise myself not to interfere with my biological clock.

The disrupted biological clock indicates lack of proper sleep, which dampens the brain work rate. People working in night shifts or doing late night parties face the similar disturbance in their biological clock leading to many lifestyle disorders such as insomnia, indigestion, acidity, loss of appetite, headache, irritability, hypertension, mood fluctuations and body pain. Changes in the biological process of a person, compromises his immunity, further leading to various lifestyle diseases. So let's take a wow not to touch our laptop or mobile phones before going to bed.


"Prevention is always better than cure" http://amzn.to/2o3ySCj

Always be prepared with an anti-termite 😡so that we can destroy termite before it destructs our home. You can prevent lifestyle diseases by adhering to a healthy lifestyle with balanced diet, physical activity and religiously following the biological clock. Rather than watching tv and playing video games, kids should be encouraged to participate in sports activity they enjoy so as to kill the monster named lifestyle disorder in tender age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can Yoga Cause Weight Gain

I joined yoga last month for weight loss. I found it difficult in the beginning, due to stiff muscles. But gradually I got habitual to it...